Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I Heart Legwarmers

"I'm in love, I'm love and I don't care who knows it" Buddy the Elf

The secret is out....I love leg warmers and no not the lame 80's styled ones you remember (although I did love Flashdance...a lot). Leg warmers have taken a more sophisticated turn these days. Just search leg warmers on Etsy and you will see many modern takes on this fashion accessory made popular by ballet dancers.

This winter I have been enthralled with them and I really wanted some for myself but really didn't want to spend the time knitting a pair. From my shear laziness this tutorial was born. Seriously... it took me less than 10 minutes to make them. Enjoy!


Sweatshirt to Leg Warmer Tutorial

One of the simplest ways I have found to make leg warmers is using an oversized sweatshirt. This is really, really easy and there is no sewing involved (unless you want to embellish them).



I used an extra large sweatshirt for this tutorial but that is because
I have ridiculously large calves. I would check the fit before you destroy your sweatshirt



Cut the arms off just outside of the seam. You can finish the edges or leave them raw.


Flatten them out with the seams to the back.

Trim the edges to even them out.

There you go...easy right? But wait there's more.....

I added some vintage lace doilies to make them a bit more interesting.



Other tutorials you might enjoy:




3 comments:

  1. look at how great these are!
    we have a friday fun find party- if you're interested, we'd love it if you'd link up tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty cool, I have to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ADORABLE!!!! I love leg warmers too...pretty sure it stems from the 80's. :) Thanks for posting the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete